Advanced Certificationthe advanced board EXAM
why take the board exam
- To be qualified to serve as a mentor at the Jivamukti Yoga® 300 Hour Residential Teacher Training
- To be qualified to serve as a mentor in the Jivamukti Yoga® Teacher Apprenticeship Program (also referred to as the 800-Hour Certification Program) offered at all Jivamukti Yoga® Schools and Centers
- To be qualified to serve on the Advanced Certification Review Board
- To be qualified to apply to operate a Jivamukti Yoga® Center (subject to all the legal limitations and franchise regulations of Jivamukti Incorporated)
- To advertise and list oneself as an Advanced Certified Jivamukti Yoga® Teacher
How to apply
Eligibility: Completion of at least a 300HR Jivamukti Yoga Teacher Traning, although 800-hour certification (completion of the Jivamukti Teacher Apprenticeship Program) is not required to appear before the Review Board, it is strongly recommended. In addition, it is highly recommended that candidates accumulate at least 2 years of teaching experience and 4 years of asana practice experience before appearing before the Review Board. The Board Exam is carried out at Jivamukti Yoga® centers worldwide on an as-needed basis. The Exam covers teaching skills, asana practice skills, yoga philosophy and terms, Sanskrit language, anatomy and other relevant topics through practical, interview and written components.
There are 2 times per year in which candidates can apply:
- 1st–30th of April – for 2022 Exams
- 1st–31st of October – for 2023 Exams
Application goes through Jivamukti Yoga Global directly, paying a non – refundable registration fee of $50 and sending in all other requirements including your preferred date and location to take the board exam.
Candidates receive feedback to their application within maximum 30 days after the application time ends by the Global Program Director (e.g. either May or November).
If you have been accepted, Jivamukti Yoga Global will contact you and ask you to pay the exam fee ($500 plus local taxes if applicable) directly to the local school. Please pay as soon as possible once you have been officially accepted. The host center will provide you will all the necessary information to register and how to pay the fee. Jivamukti Yoga Global will also send a list with names and e – mail addresses to the local Program Director, so they will be able to contact you directly with all further information.
No refunds are allowed within 4 weeks of the exam date.
If you have been declined you will be informed about the decision without any detailed feedback. You may reapply during the next or any future application period.
VIDEO OF INTENTION
Please send in a video where you answer the following questions. Feel free to elaborate on your answers. The video should be max. 5 mins long.
- Why do you want to take the exam?
- Why do you want to take it now?
- How did you come in touch with the Jivamukti Yoga method?
- How do you see yourself being a part of the local and global Jivamukti Yoga community within the next 5 – 10 years?
LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
- Please send in a letter of recommendation. We prepared this letter for you. All you need to do is find an Advanced Certified Jivamukti Yoga teacher that is willing to sign it.
You can download the letter of recommendation HERE.
The essay must meet all eight guideline requirements in order to pass.
Please send in an essay following these guidelines. If this application is not your first one, then please keep in mind that a new essay is needed for each application.
500 – 1000 words
Times New Roman, 11 point type, single spaced
The essay must fit on one single page, no exceptions
Your name on the top upper left of the page, followed by the title, sutra and translation/commentary
Spelling/Grammar/Typographical Errors: Please check carefully for spelling and grammar before you submit. If the board finds more than five misspellings or other obvious typographical errors that appear careless, the essay may be rejected.
Title: The essay must have a title on the top of the page
Sutra or Mantra: To reinforce the theme, the essay must include a reference to any sutra, shloka, verse, chant, song or mantra found in the Jivamukti Yoga chant book and must include the exact translation/commentary found in the Jivamukti Yoga chant book.
Personal Insight: The essay must include an original idea, drawn from the writer’s personal insight, which acts as a commentary or interpretation of the sutra, shloka, verse, chant, song or mantra reference.
Practical Application: The essay must include a description of a practice (asana, pranayama, etc.), related to the theme of the essay, which could be taught in a classroom setting.
Understanding of the Jivamukti Yoga Methodology: The essay must show that you have a deep understanding of the Jivamukti Yoga methodology and its teachings. It can of course include personal interpretations of those teachings but it must show a connection to the lineage of Jivamukti Yoga.
Checklist: You must include a checklist at the bottom of your essay showing that your FORMAT, TITLE, SUTRA/MANTRA, PERSONAL INSIGHT and PRACTICAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS are covered. You must include a word count for your essay. Please indicate in which paragraphs these requirements appear. Be very specific as per example below:
- PERSONAL INSIGHT: paragraph #4, line #6; paragraph #5, line #2 PRACTICAL APPLICATION: paragraph #8, lines #2, 3, 4 and 5
How to prepare and what to expecT
If you have been accepted to take the board exam you will receive an e – mail within 30 days after the end of the current application period. You will then contact or be contacted by the local school´s Program Director in order to arrange payment for the exam as well as all other local details and schedules that need to be communicated.
What to expect: A two-part examination. There will be a practical part to test your teaching skills and asana knowledge, and a written exam. The entire examination process should take around 2 hours.
On the day(s) of your exam there will be 2 parts that you will have to take:
WRITTEN EXAM (60 MIN)
- This tests your theoretical knowledge of the Jivamukti Yoga method, Sanskrit, yogic terms and anatomy.
- A good way to prepare for this exam is to study your 300hrs TTC manual, especially paying attention to the daily study guide questions. You should also be very familiar with the chants, sutras and shlokas found in the Jivamukti Yoga chant book.
PRACTICAL EXAM (60 MIN + 20 MIN PREPARATION TIME)
- You will be given 20 minutes to prepare a yoga-asana sequence as well as a 5 minutes talk about a specific topic before the actual practical exam begins.
- During the 60 minute practical exam you will be asked to teach and demonstrate certain Jivamukti Yoga specific practices.
- A good way to prepare for this part is familiarizing yourself with all Jivamukti Yoga standardized classes and their curriculums in detail, both from a teacher’s and practitioner’s perspective.
AFTER THE EXAM: REVIEW SESSION
UPCOMING ADVANCED BOARD EXAMS
Workshop in Barcelona
Date May 22, 2023
Time: 12pm – 3pm
Location: Ronda de Sant Pere 19,
08010 Barcelona, Spain
Advanced board exam
Exam May 23-24, 2023
Review May 25, 2023
Location: Ronda de Sant Pere 19,
08010 Barcelona, Spain
For Info and Appointment Set-up: email@example.com
Program Director: Olga Oskorbina